4. 1 Kindergarten Technology Requirements for Volusia Online Learning
Technology Expectations for
Full Time VOL Students
- Every student must have a desktop or laptop of their own, and a high-speed internet connection.
- Chromebooks and tablets are not fully compatible with our software.
- Families with multiple VOL students will need multiple computers.
Traditional laptops and desktop devices (any brand) with the following requirements are preferred. *Please note mobile and other light devices such as iPads and Chromebooks do not support Flash and Java, which are used in our learning platforms.
Minimum System Requirements for Ideal Performance
- 250 GB Hard Drive
- 4 GB RAM Memory
- Web Camera or Built-in Camera
- Microsoft Office products including Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint
- All VCS students can download Microsoft Office to their personal devices for free
- Students can log into VPortal, go to Office 365, and select the Download option in the upper right-hand corner
- Apple Mac OS users: Please note our programs do NOT accept files from Apple software products such as Apple Pages. You will need to download and install Microsoft Office products or use a converter.
Computer components also needed for virtual learning include:
- Microphone (internal or headset with mic)
- Printer with a supply of ink and paper (highly recommended)
- Scanner or cell phone to use for uploading course assignments.
In addition to the tech requirements, we also highly recommend having a quiet and organized workspace for your child. You will also need to purchase the items on the supply lists for both the core and elective courses. Those lists will be supplied at the beginning of the school year.