Technology Expectations for Full Time VOL Students
- Every student must have a desktop or laptop of their own, and a high-speed internet connection.
- Chromebooks and tablets are not compatible with our software and will cause issues with completing assignments.
- Families with multiple Volusia Online Learning students will need multiple computers.
- In addition to the tech requirements, we also highly recommend having a quiet and organized workspace for your child.
- I wish to provide my own device
Traditional laptops with the following requirements are preferred. *Please note mobile and other light devices such as iPads and Chromebooks do NOT work with our learning management systems.
Due to state testing requirements ALL students will be required to bring their device to their zoned school for testing. If the device does not meet these minimum standards please request a VOL device to be issued.
Minimum System Requirements for Ideal Performance
- 250 GB Hard Drive
- 4 GB RAM Memory
- Web Camera or Built-in Camera
- Microsoft Office products including Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint
- FSA lockdown Browser installed for all students 4-12 for state testing
- All VCS students can download Microsoft Office to their personal devices for free
- Students can log into VPortal, go to Office 365 and select the Download option in the upper right-hand corner
- Apple Mac OS users: Please note our programs do NOT accept files from Apple software products such as Apple Pages. You will need to download and install Microsoft Office products or use a converter.
Computer components also needed for virtual learning include:
- Microphone (internal AND headset with mic)
- Printer with a supply of ink and paper (highly recommended)
- Scanner or cell phone to use for uploading course assignments.
- I would like to request a VOL device to be issued
Full-time Volusia Online Learning students can check out a VOL laptop for their educational use.
Note: Part-time Volusia Online Learning students can check out laptops and hotspots through their zoned school.
Step #1 - Device Request Forms
Step #2 - Email Confirmation
Completed applications will be reviewed in the order received. You will receive an email when the laptop request has been approved and a laptop is ready for pickup.
For questions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step #3 - Device Pickup
Devices must be picked up at Herbert Street Center - 1290 Herbert St. Port Orange, FL 32129. There may be temporary west side locations when the need arises.
- Student must logon to laptop prior to leaving. Username and password must be known when picking up the laptop.
- Please note for liability purposes, a parent/guardian over the age of 18 will be required to pick up and sign for the device and must provide ID.
Devices must be returned on the last day of enrollment or the end of the school year (June 3rd, 2022) to Herbert Street Center - 1290 Herbert St. Port Orange, FL 32129